Skip to content

The diaphanous in Architecture

Concepts of a new Orangery

The diaphanous in Architecture

Concepts of a new Orangery

DATE

April 2022 – August 2022

Intermediate presentation of the designs on the 14th June 2022 at Kunstgewerbemuseum 

COLLABORATORS

Kunstgewerbemuseum Dresden – Staatliche Kunstsammlungen Dresden
& Staatliche Schlösser, Burgen und Gärten Sachsen gemeinnützige GmbH 

Chair of Structural Design, TU Dresden

Prof. Dr.-Ing. Matthias Beckh, Tim Mahn (project lead), Patrick Schäferling

PARTICIPANTS

Weipeng Yuan, Lasse Hamann, Niklas von Werder, Leonard Fidel Arzberger, Paul Anton Stampa, Fang Li, Emilia Förster, Eric-Dan Wurch, Yuting Li, Luzie Dörfelt

As part of the Architecture and Structure design studio of the Chair of Structural Design, architecture students are working on design of lightweight structures for the park of Pillnitz Palace. Under the title “The Diaphane in Architecture”, solutions for a new orangery in the park are currently developed. The concept of the diaphane, which can be paraphrased with the transparent, the translucent, but also with the ephemeral, is the starting point for the physical and conceptual examination of the design task. A careful integration into the historical surroundings as well the architectural expression and the structural behavior of the new building have to be taken into account during the design process. The aim is to derive with holistic design solutions that synthesize architectural and structural considerations into novel and specific forms.

The programmatically clearly defined task calls for an extension of the historic orangery building, which has come to its limits in recent years. Furthermore, the new structure could serve as a multipurpose summer pavilion to provide shelter for concerts and other cultural activities in the park. The spatial program of the new structure has been developed in close dialogue with the stakeholders of Pillnitz Palace. 

Pillnitz Palace and Park from an idealised bird’s eye view, copperplate engraving between 1726 – 1740

Orangery at Pillnitz Park & Palace

The Camellia glasshouse in close-up

The Palm House at Pillnitz Palace & Park

Inside the he Palm House